Civil War Historic Sites and Museums
$ = Admission Fee
- CHAPMAN'S / BEVERLEY MILL
17504 Beverley Mill Road
Broad Run, VA 20137 FREE
Known locally as Beverley Mill, this structure was built in 1742 and was the focal point of the pivotal 1862 Battle of Thoroughfare Gap.
- HAYMARKET MUSEUM
15025 Washington Street
Haymarket, VA 20169 FREE
Interprets this pre-Civil War town that
Federal troops burned in 1862.
- MANASSAS NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD PARK
6511 Sudley Road
Manassas, VA 20109 $
Site of the Battles of First Manassas (1861) and Second Manassas (1862).
- RUTH E. LLOYD INFORMATION CENTER
Bull Run Regional pbrary
8051 Ashton Avenue
Manassas, VA 20109 FREE
A special collection devoted to genealogy and local history focusing on Virginia and prince Wilpam County.
- BEN LOMOND HISTORIC SITE
10321 Sudley Manor Drive
Manassas, VA 20109 $
1832 house was a Confederate hospital after First Manassas. Union graffiti is preserved.
- MANASSAS MUSEUM
9101 prince Wilpam Street
Manassas, VA 20110 $
Represents the area's rich history, including an extensive exhibit about the Civil War.
- MAYFIELD CIVIL WAR FORT
8401 Quarry Road
Manassas, VA 20110 FREE
Site of the last remaining Confederate earthwork fortification built in 1861 to guard the eastern approaches to Manassas Junction along the railroad.
- BRISTOE STATION BATTLEFIELD
10708 Bristow Road
Bristow, VA 20136 $
Interprets the 1862 Battle of Kettle Run and the 1863 Battle of Bristoe Station.
- BRENTSVILLE COURTHOUSE
12229 Bristow Road
Bristow, VA 20136 $
Interprets Brentsville (founded in 1820) and 19th-century Prince William County.
- MILL HOUSE MUSEUM
413 Mill Street
Occoquan, VA 22125 FREE
Occoquan's colonial and Civil War history is presented through exhibits, presentations and artifacts.
- LEESYLVANIA STATE PARK
2001 Daniel K. Ludwig Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22191 $
Park Visitor and Environmental Education Centers have exhibitions about the area's Civil War history.
- WEEMS-BOTTS MUSEUM
3944 Cameron Street
Dumfries, VA 22026 $
Tours span the history of Dumfries and Prince William County during the 18th-20th centuries.
- PRINCE WILLIAM FOREST PARK
18100 Park Headquarters Road
Triangle, VA 22172 $
Interprets antebellum and Civil War farm
homesteads and graveyards. A Civil War exhibit is located in the Visitor Center.
- NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE MARINE CORPS
18900 Jefferson Davis Highway
Triangle, VA 22172 FREE
Learn how the Marine Corps have evolved over the past 200 years in this interactive museum.
Virginia Civil War Trails Markers
On-site markers provide more detailed descriptions of places and events than those given here.
- THOROUGHFARE GAP
(Fauquier County side of Broad Run)
Marker located on Rt. 55 (John Marshall Hwy.)
38 49' 24" N * 77 42' 39" W
Armies used this mountain pass throughout the war. In July 1861, Confederate troops marched through the Gap on their way to Manassas. Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson crossed the Gap en route to Bristoe and Manassas in August 1862.
- CHAPMAN'S MILL
Marker at end of Beverley Mill Road, Broad Run
38 49' 28" N * 77 42' 24" W
This mill was a Confederate supply center during 1861-1862. The August 28, 1862 Battle of Thoroughfare Gap was fought around the mill.
- EWELL'S CHAPEL
Marker located at the intersection of Largo
Vista Drive and Loudoun Drive, Haymarket
38 54' 43" N * 77 37' 45" W
Col. John S. Mosby and his partisan rangers escaped a Union trap set here on June 22, 1863. Wounded at Second Manassas, Confederate Gen. Richard Ewell was brought to a nearby home to onvalesce after his leg was amputated.
- HOPEWELL GAP
Marker located at Antioch Church
16513 Waterfall Road, Haymarket
38 51' 28" N * 77 41' 4" W
Armies used this strategic pass often during the war.
Federal cavalrymen escaped through the Gap on
June 18, 1863 after being defeated at Middleburg.
Confederate partisan Col. John S. Mosby maintained
a prisoner-of-war camp nearby in July 1863.
Marker located at 16211 Lee Highway, Gainesville
38 46' 48" N * 77 40' 27" W
The Battle of Buckland Mills was fought here on October 19, 1863. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Confederate cavalry routed Gen. J. Kilpatrick's Union cavalry in what became known as the "Buckland Races."
15025 Washington Street, Haymarket
38 48'N * 77 38' 14"W
This town was in the path of marching armies throughout the war. After Confederate bushwhackers fired at Union forces nearby in 1862, a Union general had the town burned, leaving few intact structures. On June 25, 1863, the Union II Corps fought Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Confederate cavalry here, breaking Stuart's contact with Lee on his march north to Gettysburg.
- MANASSAS NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD PARK
6511 Sudley Road, Manassas
38 48' 46" N * 77 31' 15" W
The park preserves key sites associated with First Manassas (Bull Run), the first major battle of the war (July 21, 1861), and the much bloodier Second Battle of Manassas (August 28-30, 1862). Both were Confederate victories.
Marker located at Greenwich Church
15305 Vint Hill Road, Nokesville
38 45' 0" N * 77 38' 52" W
Gen. Richard Ewell grew up nearby. During the war, Union and Confederate forces frequented the village. Union forces bivouacked here in August 1862 while Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson plundered Manassas Junction. In May 1863, Mosby's Rangers fought off Union pursuers at a neighboring farm.
- BEN LOMOND HISTORIC SITE
10321 Sudley Manor Drive, Manassas
38 47' 21" N * 77 30' 22" W
This home, built in 1832, suffered because of its proximity to the Manassas battlefields. It was
used as a Confederate hospital after First Manassas and was later occupied by Union soldiers whose graffiti is preserved.
- BLACKBURN'S FORD
(Fairfax County side of Bull Run )
Markers located off of Rt. 28 near Bull Run
38 48' 12" N * 77 26' 57" W
On July 18, 1861, Confederates waiting at this ford along Bull Run repulsed a Union "reconnaissance-in-force" from Centreville. This prelude to First Manassas was the first taste of battle for most of the soldiers involved.
- MITCHELL'S FORD
Marker located at Yorkshire Elementary
School at the corner of Yorkshire Lane and
Old Centreville Road, Manassas
38 47' 21"N * 77 27' 29" W
In July 1861, this was the center of the Confederate defense line along Bull Run. Troops who were
posted here took part in the Battle of Blackburn's Ford on July 18, 1861
- McLEAN FARM
Marker located at the CVS, corner of Yorkshire
Lane and Centreville Road, Manassas
38 47' 35" N * 77 26' 51" W
The Wilmer McLean house stood nearby. Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard was headquartered there on July 18, 1861 when the Battle of Blackburn's Ford erupted. McLean eventually moved his family to Appomattox. Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered at McLean's Appomattox home on April 9, 1865.
- CAMP CARONDELET
End of Cougar Court, Manassas Park
38 45' 44" N * 77 25' 19" W
This wooded park was the site of a Confederate winter camp. Here, Louisiana troops enlivened
their stay by holding a "Grand Military Ball" on February 25, 1862
- BATTLE OF BULL RUN BRIDGE and CONNER HOUSE
Markers located at the Conner House off of
Euclid Avenue at 8220 Conner Drive,
38 45' 56" N * 77 26' 44" W
Two markers describe the events of August 27,
1862. New Jersey troops sent from Washington met
and were defeated by Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's
forces east of Manassas Junction. The Conner House
was Confederate Gen. Joseph Johnston's headquarters
after First Manassas and a Union hospital known as
the "Yellow Hospital" before Second Manassas.
- SIGNAL HILL
Marker located on Signal Hill Drive across from
entrance to Signal Hill Park, Manassas Park
38 45' 11" N * 77 26' 17" W
A monument marks the site of a Confederate signal station. From here on July 21, 1861, Confederate signal officer E.P. Alexander signaled by flag relay to Nathan "Shanks" Evans who was positioned near The Stone Bridge to warn him of approaching Union forces. This is believed to be the first use of flag signals in combat conditions.
- CITY OF MANASSAS MUSEUM SYSTEM
9101 Prince William Street, Manassas
38 44' 55" N * 77 28' 17"W
Civil War Trails Sites within the City of Manassas are:
- Manassas Museum
- Prelude to First Manassas
- "Fortifications of Immense Strength"
- "On to Richmond!"
- Site of Manassas Junction
- Jackson's Daring Raid
- World's First Military Railroad
- Curious Descend on Manassas for Curios
- "The Sickness is Upon Us"
- Confederates Withdraw to Richmond
- Peace Jubilee
- Mayfield Civil War Fort (nine markers)
- Liberia Plantation
- Battle of Bull Run Bridge
- Confederate Cemetery
- Canon Branch Civil War Fort
- BRISTOE STATION BATTLEFIELD HERITAGE PARK
Park Entrance off of Iron Brigade Court and
Tenth Alabama Way, Bristow
38 43' 37" N * 77 32' 40" W
Disease caused the deaths and burials of many
Confederate soldiers camped here after First
Manassas. Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's forces severed the Union supply at Bristoe on August 26, 1862. The next day, Gen. Ewell's division guarded this position while Jackson plundered Manassas Junction. Battle erupted here on October 14, 1963 when the Union II Corps repulsed Gen. A.P. Hill's Confederate corps.
- KETTLE RUN
Marker located at the corner of Nokesville
Road (Rt. 28) and Aden Road, Nokesville
38 42' 57" N * 77 33' 40" W
As Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's troops looted Manassas Junction on August 27, 1862, Gen.
Joseph Hooker's Federal division advanced on Jackson's rear guard under Gen. Richard Ewell at
Kettle Run. Ewell's Confederates managed to delay the Federals before withdrawing to the junction
and joining Jackson's night march to the Second Manassas battlefield.
12229 Bristow Road, Bristow
38 41' 22" N * 77 29' 58" W
Brentsville was the seat of Prince William County from 1822 to 1893. Several Confederate units
were formed on the Courthouse grounds. Passing armies devastated the town during the war.
Several original buildings remain, many within Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre
- BACON RACE CHURCH
Marker located at Bacon Race Cemetery
5213 Davis Ford Road, Woodbridge
38 41' 29" N * 77 21' 45" W
This cemetery includes several Civil War burials. It is all that remains of the 1770s Oak Grove/Bacon Race Baptist Church. In the winter of 1861-1862, this was a supply depot for Confederate troops encamped in eastern Prince William County who guarded the Occoquan River at nearby Wolf Run Shoals and other crossing points.
413 Mill Street, Occoquan
38 41' 8" N * 77 15' 44" W
As an important river crossing between Alexandria and Fredericksburg, this settlement
was busy and sometimes dangerous during the war. Confederate cavalry raided Occoquan in
December 1862. Union Gen. Joseph Hooker's army constructed a 300-foot-long pontoon
bridge here as he followed Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee north toward Gettysburg in 1863.
- NEABSCO CREEK FORTIFICATIONS
Marker located at Ferlazzo Government Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Woodbridge
38 36' 27" N * 77 17' 40" W
This area along Neabsco Creek was the center of waterfront Confederate winter encampments
and fortifications in 1861-1862. Troops posted here supported several artillery batteries that
successfully blockaded the Potomac River.
- FREESTONE POINT
Marker located in Leesylvania State Park
2001 Daniel K. Ludwig Drive, Woodbridge
38 35' 28" N * 77 14' 54" W
The remains of a Confederate artillery battery are located in this Potomac River park. The battery was in action on September 25, 1861 when it exchanged shots with Union vessels in the river. A walking trail interprets the battery and Civil War history.
Marker located at Williams Ordinary
17674 Main Street, Dumfries
38 34' 7" N * 77 19' 24" W
Confederates evacuated their camps here in March 1862 and the town remained in Union hands for
the rest of the war. A raid December 27, 1862 by Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart resulted in the
destruction of many buildings. Williams Ordinary (ca. 1765) served as Confederate headquartersduring the 1861-1862 Potomac River blockade.
- COCKPIT POINT
Cockpit Point Road, Dumfries
38 33' 38" N * 77 15' 49" W
Cockpit Point and Possum Nose were major Confederate batteries along the Potomac River during the winter of 1861-1862. From these and other waterfront batteries, Confederates successfully blockaded the Potomac River. The Confederate batteries here are preserved.